12 Best Web Development IDE in 2022
Web Development IDEs have changed the way developers build websites & applications. IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment, and it has replaced fundamental tools such as software testing & writing.
If IDE doesn’t exist, developers would have to spend a lot of time & effort on a variety of tools. But the introduction of IDEs has significantly helped developers over the years.
If you also want to speed up development and take your skills to the next level, it’s better to use an IDE.
In this blog, we have researched and singled out the top IDEs for web development. You can go through the list and choose the best IDE for your web development project.
Here are the 12 best web development IDE:
1. Visual Studio
Developed by Microsoft, Visual Studio is the most popular IDE for web development. Moreover, it is voted the most popular text editor among the developers as per the State of JS in 2020.
It utilizes AI to complete your lines of code. Moreover, visual studio IDE is suitable for developing small-scale websites to big web applications to game development.
You can work live with your team for editing or debugging. It supports various languages such as Python, Node.js, C++, Unity, and many more.
Key Features of Visual Studio
- Intellisense finishes the syntax using variable types, function definitions, and imported modules.
- You can work with Git and various other SCM providers efficiently.
- Add new languages, themes, and debuggers by installing extensions.
- Host & deploy your code on Microsoft Azure.
- It allows you to work on multiple projects at the same time.
Key Features of Atom
- It has a built-in package manager that enables you to install new tools.
- Code efficiently using the smart and flexible autocomplete.
- You can find, preview, or replace text present in a file or the entire project.
- Divide the interface into multiple panes to check code and correct it quickly.
- Teletype in Atom allows sharing your workspace and editing code with a team in real-time.
- It offers several pre-installed themes. In addition, you can install any theme created by the Atom community.
3. Sublime Text
The clutter-free user interface of sublime text makes it one of the best editors for web development. It is highly flexible and is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Sublime Text is best free ide for web development to use. If you want to obtain updates, then you need to purchase a licensed version. The licensed version offers updates for the next three years.
Key Features of Sublime Text
- It offers 23 different themes plus an option to download more themes and configure them using third-party plugins.
- Add text & code with sublime text snippets.
- It provides several screen modes along with panels that display four files instantly as full screen.
- Using its Go to Anything feature, you can immediately navigate to files, symbols, and lines.
- The auto-complete engine provides smart completions depending on the existing code in the project.
- Command Palette implementation in the IDE depends on the text input from users.
4. IntelliJ IDEA
It is one of the best free IDEs for web development and also known as Java-centric IDE. It is specially built to enhance the developer’s productivity. Its intelligent coding assistance and ergonomic design are responsible for making development productive and fun.
Key Features of IntelliJ IDEA
- IDEA assists you in maintaining the flow of the program from start to finish.
- The basic completion suggests class, keywords, and fields. However, the smart code completion feature suggests the type needed for the current context.
- Productivity boosters automate various boring and repetitive tasks.
- It supports you in different things, such as filling a field, searching over a list of elements, toggling a setting, and many more.
- It is compatible with various frameworks.
The lighting-fast smart IDE allows you to work on development projects of any size and scale. You can also customize this IDE using various themes and extensions to take your programming experience to a new level. Web development IDE is available for Mac, Windows, and Linux.
Key Features of PhpStorm
- Intelligent coding assistance enables you to verify code when you type. Hence, you can write a clean code that is easy to maintain.
- The smart code navigator helps you to the desired part of the code quickly.
- Refracting allows you to make changes to the code in a matter of clicks.
- It has various built-in tools like Docker, Composer, REST Client, and many more.
- PhpStorm offers smart code completion and suggestions.
- It possesses a built-in visual debugger.
- It enables you to do unit-testing in PHP and other frameworks based on PHP.
Eclipse is the best web development IDE for Java. The community-driven IDE is entirely written in Java and is used widely for developing Java applications.
However, you can utilize this IDE for the various programming languages such as Python, R, Ruby, PHP, Perl, Prolog, etc.
Key Features of Eclipse
- It offers ready-made code templates.
- You can visit the Eclipse Marketplace Client to find and install plugins to extend the functionalities of the project.
- You can install various GUI builders and tools for modeling, charting, reporting, testing, etc.
- It helps you to improve the code structure through code refactoring.
- It has built-in version control.
- Code compilation is fast in the Eclipse.
PyCharm is one of the best web development IDEs for professional Python developers developed by JetBrains. Besides Python, it supports various web development languages such as HTML, CSS, Node.js, etc. It is also a Cross-platform IDE used for web development and it is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.
It offers two versions: Community Edition and Professional Edition. The community edition is free with limited features. However, the latter one is paid and provides a vast number of features.
Key Features of PyCharm
- Smart code navigation enables you to jump to any class, file, or symbol.
- It permits you to access various databases, such as Oracle, SQL servers, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc., instantly.
- It offers a highly customizable UI.
- Smooth Integration with Git, Mercurial, and SVN.
- It provides fast and safe code refactoring.
- PyCharm supports scientific tools such as Python Console, Ipython Notebook, Anaconda, Matplotlib, and NumPy.
- It offers remote development capabilities.
- It also consists of a power debugger and unit-testing tools.
Similar to various other JetBrains IDE, it ensures to provide a great development experience. How? It can automate routine work and handle complex tasks effectively.
WebStorm has been a go-to choice of developers worldwide due to its language support, built-in features, and usability. It supports various front-end as well as back-end languages. It is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Key Features of WebStorm
- It works efficiently with various web application frameworks such as React, Vue, etc.
- Easy integration with Git, Github, Mercurial, and many more.
- It offers a vast number of built-in tools to speed up the development process.
- Smart autocomplete and code refactoring.
- Detects error codes and suggests fixes.
- Customize the environment using various themes and plugins.
- Debugger and built-in testing abilities.
NetBeans is one of the best open-source web development IDEs. It is suitable for developing web, mobile, and desktop applications. It is supported by a massive community of developers worldwide.
It is a free IDE for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Solaris.
Key Features of NetBeans
- It consists of a drag-and-drop interface that facilitates quick development.
- Highlights source code syntactically and semantically.
- It offers powerful code refactoring.
- Integrated unit testing with JUnit and TestNG frameworks.
- It comes with a visual debugger that can debug Java apps.
- It provides integrated version control with CVS, Subversion (SVN), and Mercurial.
10. AWS Cloud9
AWS Cloud9 is a popular cloud-based IDE that allows you to write, run, and debug code using a browser. You only require an internet-connection machine and work from anywhere. You will not face any compatibility issues as it runs in a browser.
Aws Cloud9 is a proprietary IDE that can be accessed by anyone who has an AWS account.
Key Features of AWS Cloud9
- Automatic code completion assists you in coding quickly and avoiding any errors.
- It has a built-in debugger that allows setting breakpoints, stepping through code, and inspecting variables of any app.
- It offers a terminal to run commands, like pushing code changes to Git, compiling your code, and viewing command output in the server.
- You can share the development environment with a team and work together.
- It enables you to select from a vast number of themes to customize the UI of the IDE.
- You can utilize various keyboard shortcuts to speed up the development process.
- Built-in image editor allows you to edit images as per the need.
11. Komodo IDE
It is yet another popular IDE for web development developed by ActiveState, a well-known open-source app development company. The company created two versions, Komodo Edit and paid Komodo IDE.
The IDE is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac. The Community Edition of Komodo IDE is free of cost. However, its pricing starts from $84 per month for a small team and goes further for enterprise-level teams.
Key Features of Komodo IDE
- Powerful Editor makes web development quick & efficient.
- The visual debugger allows developers to debug, inspect and test code smoothly.
- It supports various version controls like Git, Subversion, CVS, Perforce, etc.
- Developers can integrate features with a range of add-ons.
- Two or more users can edit simultaneously.
Notepad++ is one of the most popular text and source code editors used in Microsoft Windows. It was released by Don Ho in 2003 and is still active. The code editor is written in the C++ language.
The IDE has been downloaded more than 28 million times. Moreover, it is acknowledged as the best developer tool by SourceForge Community.
Key Features of Notepad++
- It allows you to edit files up to 2 GB
- Syntax highlighting in 70+ languages along with HTML and Windows batch files.
- Developers can edit files for multiple operating systems such as macOS and Linux.
- Macros allow you to record a series of editing commands.
- It supports auto-completion.
There are various popular web development IDEs available in the market right now. All the great IDEs that we have mentioned above are suitable for developing any software or web application.
These IDEs are jam-packed with various features, and the majority of them are also free. Further, all the IDEs have a specific set of features for web development.
The selection of an IDE boils down to the project requirement and the programming language your expertise. You can even choose to go with a paid IDE as per the project needs.
If you are still facing issues in choosing the right IDE, then don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
GuruTechnolabs is a professional web app development company. We can help you choose the best IDE for web development. Moreover, we have a highly talented team of professionals who can understand your project well and provide a suitable solution.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visual Studio is the most used IDE for web development.
Visual Studio, Notepad++, and Komodo Edit are the three most popular web development IDEs that you can use for HTML.
NetBeans is user-friendly and fast compared to other IDEs in the market. Hence, it is the best Java IDE for beginners to do web development.