10 Best Headless eCommerce Platforms in 2022
The rapid development of technology has given rise to various online shopping ideas and opened up new possibilities for e-commerce. Also, consumer demands and habits are constantly changing.
To compete in the eCommerce market, you must deliver the best possible customer experience, which is where headless eCommerce comes in handy. It enables changing and adjusting the frontend without dealing with the complexity of backend coding. Thankfully, a lot of online platforms streamline the procedure.
If you have decided to use a headless commerce platform but are unable to choose one, you are at the right place.
In this blog, we will look at the best headless commerce platforms along with their features.
But, prior to that, let’s go through some basics.
What is Headless e-Commerce?
Headless e-commerce is a system where the frontend is detached from the backend. It simply means that the headless commerce model removes the storefront layer (known as the head) from an eCommerce platform.
Here, the front end is nothing but the visible elements that customers see and interact with in the online store.
The backend is the invisible layer where the developers build, operate, and update the commercial side of the online store.
In the case of the headless approach, both the frontend and backend work separately and interact using APIs. Hence, you have more flexibility to decide how your store looks, works, and complies with your customers.
You can easily change the frontend without affecting the backend. It enables you to deliver an unparalleled & rich experience to your customers across various devices.
In short, a headless commerce store considers API to produce content based on potential audience needs without thinking about the front end. Hence, it allows store owners to build an adaptable eCommerce store and reach customers via different touchpoints.
For instance, a headless commerce store works well on various crucial devices, like mobile devices, smartwatches, kiosk screens, etc.
The case of traditional e-commerce is simply that the back-end and the front-end of the website are a single system. If you desire to change the frontend (interface), you must ensure that the back end fits it. So, any change made in one will directly impact the other.
If you want to know more about headless commerce vs traditional commerce, headless commerce benefits, and more, check out this guide on headless commerce.
Now, we will go through some of the best headless eCommerce platforms worldwide along with the features.
So, let’s start.
Best Headless Ecommerce Platforms
Here is the list of the most popular headless eCommerce platforms that you can consider for your store.
1. Shopify Plus
Shopify is a cloud-based platform used by millions of medium and small-sized businesses. The famous platform also provides a full-fledged solution for medium- and large-sized companies, Shopify Plus.
The new platform allows businesses to turn any device into a potential sales channel. The limitless potential, integrated automation tools, and advanced eCommerce features of Shopify Plus ensure seamless customer experiences.
Key Features of Shopify Plus
- Ability to integrate different systems such as CRM, PIM, CMS, and ERP.
- Ability to incorporate many apps and services such as Google Sheets, Slack, Mailchimp, and Apple Business Chat.
- User-Friendly dashboard and built-in content management system, which provide high stability.
- GraphQL Storefront API helps you to build an appealing online store for web, mobile, and games.
- It allows third-party marketplace integrations such as eBay and Amazon.
- It allows you to create a customizable checkout. By this, you can do branding of your store as required.
2. Adobe Commerce
Formerly known as Magento, Adobe Commerce is a highly customizable headless eCommerce platform. It allows the development of a multi-channel commerce experience for any business.
Magento has two versions:
- Magento Open Source: It is absolutely free to download and install. But, you need to pay for a domain, hosting, and third-party integrations. Besides this, you also have to pay Magento developers for eCommerce store development if you hire them.
- Adobe Commerce: It is an advanced version of Magento open-source. It is recommended for enterprises that require fully-functional eCommerce solutions.
Key Features of Adobe Commerce
- The platform is well known for its inventory and analyzing system, as it allows you to track stock levels across multiple locations simultaneously and know exactly what’s available or not.
- The analytics dashboard visually demonstrates key data points through digital and brick-and-mortar shopping.
- The platform supports Custom integrations via REST and SOAP web API frameworks.
- Native integrations via different tools available on the Adobe Suite, such as Experience Manager and Creative Cloud.
- Advanced SEO optimization tools.
- It has a PWA studio using which you can create progressive web applications.
- It allows you to divide customers based on the demographic, user activity, cart, and history.
Unable to choose between Shopify & Magento?
Schedule a meeting with us. We will understand your business needs
& goals and then suggest the best headless commerce platform.
Commercetools is one of the most popular eCommerce platforms targeted for headless eCommerce. The platform works on the MACH principle (Microservice-based, API-first, Cloud-native, and Headless) and offers various tools for B2C and B2B businesses. It allows the development of a customer experience that meets the precise demands of your business and consumers.
The API-based approach of the platform detaches the frontend from the back-end. It allows you to design custom solutions, providing an eCommerce experience across a wide range of multiple touchpoints such as mobile apps, websites, VR applications, and even voice assistants.
Key Features of Commercetools
- No need for SQL or any other customization; APIs can help you achieve what you want.
- It provides several robust features like catalog management, order management, and more.
- Its high-end business interface enables you to manage all the sales effectively.
- The platform integrates well with CMS like Cybersource, Contentstack, and Frontstatic. Besides this, it also integrates with front-end CMS such as Adobe Experience Cloud.
4. Elastic Path
Elastic Path combines the capabilities of a traditional eCommerce platform with the superiority of a headless architecture. It provides an API-first full-fledged, and ready-to-launch headless eCommerce solution that facilitates and removes all the complexities of going headless.
Elastic Path supports cutting-edge omnichannel eCommerce that merges well with all the consumers’ shopping journeys across multiple touchpoints.
Key Features of Elastic Path
- It allows easy integration with existing front-end systems, such as ERP and CRM.
- Elastic Path has built-in frontend technologies such as PWA, Facebook chatbot, Alexa skill, AR, etc.
- You can deploy solutions in the private cloud or on-premise.
5. Salesforce Commerce Cloud
Salesforce Commerce Cloud is developed by the popular CRM company Salesforce. It is an agile commerce platform integrated with other Salesforce products allowing effortless connecting with other products within its suite, such as a prebuilt connectors library which not only improve the websites but also allow the building of the mobile application.
Also, the API first philosophy facilitates website building and provides the ultimate customer experience to create outstanding front-end user interfaces while maintaining flexibility with all the back-end features. Additionally, the CRM features are advanced, and integrating CRM systems is seamless.
Key Features of SalesForce Commerce Cloud
- Easy to adopt PWA kit to design mobile-first store.
- It allows you to control various SKUs and stores from one single backend.
- It provides a 360-customer platform to look after the customer data across various platforms like marketing, sales, and more.
- Using Commerce Cloud Digital, you can present your store on social media and reach your potential audience.
Want to switch from traditional to headless eCommerce?
Let us know your requirements. Our experts will provide you with the
next-gen headless commerce solution.
Spryker is a German platform as a service (PaaS) solution that adopts the API-first and composable architecture. The unique approach allows users to create B2B and B2C eCommerce stores from scratch and scale their company without worrying about technical limits.
The Glue API allows integrating the technology stack through the LINK Middleware instead of altering the used systems. Also, IoT touchpoints can be used for recurring purchases to increase customer loyalty and boost customer retention.
Key Features of Spryker
- The platform offers expert guidance to build your eCommerce store efficiently.
- It offers multiple eCommerce features for enterprise-level businesses, such as real-time shipping quotations, free site-wide HTTPs, and more.
- Integrate cutting-edge technologies such as voice assistants, smart shelving, near-field communication, and more in your eCommerce store.
- It enables you to deploy large and enterprise-level eCommerce stores quickly & effectively.
OroCommerce is an open-source eCommerce platform particularly built for the B2B industry. It is a highly favorable platform for distributors, wholesalers, brands, and retailers. However, the platform is highly customizable to fit any eCommerce business model, such as B2C, B2B, B2B2C, or B2B2B.
The platform is suitable for on-premise and cloud-based solutions as it supports headless and traditional approaches. Also, the open-source approach provides code transparency, product reliability, and improved security.
Key Features of OroCommerce
- Due to its robust inventory management solution, you can keep an eye on more websites and warehouses using a single interface.
- It has a built-in CRM with a range of features. Moreover, it easily integrates with any CRM apps and ERP solutions you already use.
- The platform offers self-service portal support to manage buyer & seller operations well.
- It has a highly active community of 20,000 developers across the world.
Nacelle’s headless e-commerce solution simplifies, harmonizes, and optimizes scattered back-end systems, reducing the required time to go headless. Mid-market and enterprise-level businesses can easily and rapidly optimize their website performance by improving conversion rates, higher GMVs, higher average order values, and reducing total ownership costs.
Nacelle consists of built-in integrations like Sanity and Contentful. It further consists of templates that enable you to build the PWA app efficiently.
Key Features of Nacelle
- Simplified back-end system
- Cutting-edge commerce tools
- The platform also offers excellent features like seamless connection to all commerce systems, comprehensive data composition tools, a single & unified API, and event-driven data ingestion.
- Easy to integrate with some popular commerce platforms such as Shopify, Adobe Commerce, etc. Thus, there’s no need for migration.
Swell is an easy-to-use headless Commerce solution that everyone. It supports both B2C and B2B.
The API-first approach, headless architecture, back-end management, and usage of the latest development tools allow you to build creative online stores from scratch without any coding and reduce the time-consuming tasks associated with store development.
Swell makes product management possible with a simple click with no plugins or coding. Moreover, the platform is used by many healthcare, retail, service, and online hospitality stores.
Key Features of Swell
- It offers a range of ready-made themes suitable for building beautiful & customized headless storefronts.
- The platform integrates easily with various plugins like PayPal, Braintree, Stripe, Slack, Mailchimp, Algolia, etc.
- Swell offers scalability and flexibility on your store through autoscaling servers and global CDN.
- It provides an advanced yet easy-to-use dashboard to manage things in the store. All the new users can also become familiar with the customized elements.
Want to create an online store using a headless platform?
Contact us today. We will evaluate your business and provide an
eCommerce solution using a headless platform.
It is an open-source ASP.NET framework-based eCommerce platform. Utilizing the latest Microsoft technologies provides high security, scalability, and flexibility, allowing small and enterprise-level businesses to build advanced online stores.
The out-of-box technology provides the true ability to own an online store rather than rent it on some cloud. It offers a free download, deployment, and customization for any requirements and budget.
nopCommerce is built using the Web API plugin that allows integration of any third-party systems such as CMS, PIMs, ERPs, POS, and mobile apps.
Key Features of nopCommerce
- The Web API covers more than 1100 shopping experience-creating methods.
- It works well with Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Advanced SEO marketing features such as email & content marketing and affiliate programs.
- You don’t have to pay any transaction or monthly fees.
We hope you liked our list of the most popular headless commerce platforms. With numerous advantages like omnichannel marketing, tailor-made customer experience, flawless third-party integration, etc., headless commerce platforms are likely to remain in demand.
However, the headless commerce solution isn’t meant for everyone. Based on the level of customization and your budget, you can decide to build a headless eCommerce store.
If you have any doubts about the headless eCommerce store, feel free to contact us.
Guru TechnoLabs is a professional web & app development company. Hence, we can understand your business well and deliver you a suitable eCommerce store solution.