The ultimate guide to start an eCommerce app development
Once you have decided to build an eCommerce storefront application for your online business, you need to take care of a few things before you go to any professional eCommerce app development company to build a dedicated mobile app for you.
Find out about niche audience that you wish to target through your eCommerce mobile app
The first thing you need to ask yourself is about your target audience.
If you want your retailer app to succeed in the market, then identification of the niche audience for your business is important.
Now the question arises how to identify those people who are likely to be your customers?
Here we will give you some pointers that will help you to find out your niche audience accurately.
First, identify where a maximum number of leads for your business are coming from :
In the first place you have to identify your existing audience through your market analytics.
It is very hard to find a completely new audience, so it would be wise to first focus on your existing clients more intensely.
Make sure that you understand their tastes and buying habits and try to tweak your business features in a way that would attract them even more.
Do not try to bind your business by focusing intensely on demographics :
If you are in a retail business then it is important to ensure that you have products for every age and income group. This will increase the crowd size for your business which in turn will help your company to earn more.
Do not focus too much on exclusivity, because the market for exclusive products is very small and highly competitive.
Do some research on your major competitors in the market :
You can also look at your major competitors in the market and with the help of Google analytics and try to find out about their main customer bases.
The next step will be to woo them through improved marketing techniques and better deals.
When you identify your niche audience than you are better prepared attract them through your eCommerce mobile application or eCommerce storefront application.
Select the right platform for your eCommerce mobile app
It is quite tempting to build a retailer app for every single platform available in the market. However, if you are a small firm, then it would not be economically viable for you.
Additionally, it has been observed that a focused approach in marketing yields the best results.
You have to figure out which platform is used by the majority of your targeted audience. So that you can build an app for that platform which will give you a better ROI.
Where is your market located?
Location of the market has a very important impact on the platform you have to choose to reach out to the majority of your audience.
If your market is situated in Africa, Asia or Latin America then you must focus on the Android platform as this platform is very popular in these markets.
As the Android platform is available on both baseline, mid-level to high-level smartphones, you will find that most of your audience is in these emerging markets use this OS to access the Internet.
If your market is in the first world countries like in Western Europe or America, then you have to focus on iOS platform for eCommerce mobile application development to reach out to your targeted audience.
Looking For a Proficient Mobile App Development Team?
What are some of the features that your eCommerce retail app should have?
While the above steps are useful to go through the eCommerce app development process, it is also important to know about those features that your app should have to interest your customers to use it for buying products from your e-store.
Here we will give you some pointers at those features that will improve your customer’s experience thus ensuring they buy more products from your store.
- When you want to develop a shopping cart app for your company, then you need to provide a complete product list of all the inventories that are displayed on your eCommerce website or physical store.
- Make sure that the product list is accompanied by price tags for each of the inventory along with their specifications.
- If you have a large number of inventories that you want to sell to your eCommerce app then it is important that you provide a search feature integrated into the app.
- A search feature will help the customer to view only those products in which user is interested.
- You can also add a number of filters in the search box so that the customer can customize their search in regards to price, size, material or any other such elements.
- Use social media to not simplify their registration process and also improve data analytics for your app.
- Nowadays, people do not like to wait too long to fill those long forms for registration. Therefore, you can use those social media apps which they already use to get registered in your app.
- This will allow you to keep a tab on what kind of news or products they follow and buy so that you can also list those products in your inventory list.
- You can also make use of mobile cloud computing, the recommendation engine, and chatbots in your eCommerce mobile app to provide a better user experience to your customers and make sure that they come back, again and again, buy from your store.
- While mobile cloud computing helps you to speed up the application, the recommendation engine helps the customer to figure out which product to buy. The chat box, on the other hand, is like personal assistants that can provide valuable information to your customers which will improve brand loyalty among them.
- A safe and secure payment option is one of the critical elements that can affect the popularity of your eCommerce app.
- Make sure that you provide multiple payment options to your customers to gain their trust as well as making sure that you do not lose any customer for want of any particular payment option which the customer desire to use.
- Once the customer has added product to cart then you should ensure that user has a quick check out option.
- A simpler check-out option is very important to retain the existing customer base of your company.
What to follow and what to avoid for your eCommerce mobile app design
Designing an app in right way is very important to succeed in the marketplace.
You should follow some pointers when you are thinking about what design cues you should follow and what not to include in your app.
What design features you could look at for your mobile app :
- Make the app simple to use and avoid cognitive load
- Research on how the user makes use of the app and design it in such a way that it helps user to navigate the application
- Remove excess clutter from your app design. This will not only improve the user flow but will also make the app faster to load
- Put in a user navigation button so that the users can easily visit any part of the app quickly and accurately
- Your design should be fingertip touch friendly. In other words, the buttons in your app should be big enough to see and touch on your smartphone
- Focus on the first-time experience through cute animations and attractive images
- Many mobile app designers do not focus on personalization, this can have a very negative impact on the overall UX for your audience
Design features you should avoid while building a retails app :
- Do not mix your UI and UX for a mobile design. While the UI is how an individual interacts with the app, the UX means how does he feel about the interaction
- You will find that many applications have low contrast fonts and layouts which makes it hard to see the content clearly
- Many applications do not have a feedback mechanism inbuilt in their design. This not only affects the users’ perception about the professional attitude of your company but also deny you those suggestions that would help you make your app more functional and efficient
Focus on monetization method in the eCommerce app development process
In the eCommerce mobile app development process, one of the key things you have to remember is how do you monetize your app.
Here we are giving you some examples which will allow you to recover the cost of your app development and also improve revenue flow to your company.
In app advertising
In app advertisement plays an important part in reducing the per download cost significantly. If your in- app advertisement is providing you with a significant amount of revenue, then you can also provide the app for free to your customers. There are many ways through which you can advertise some of which are
- banner ads
- Interstitial adds
- reward adds
- notification ads
- video ads
- and many more
If you have an idea which none of your competitors has and it is very attractive then you can host a paid mobile app for your company in the App Store
Provide in app purchases
You can also design the eCommerce mobile app in such a way that it provides your customers with a chance to make purchases inside the app itself.
Use the freemium model
Many companies are using the freemium model in mobile apps for retail business to their great advantage. In this kind of app design, you offer the application for free to download and use but make sure that a few premium functions can be accessed only after paying a certain sum of money.
The subscription model
This model is also used widely by companies worldwide to increase their revenue stream. Here, you allow the user to use your app for free for a certain period of time. After which they have to pay to use those features. Many software companies use this process to monetize their apps.
Third party payment gateway integration
If you are selling physical products then you can integrate third party payment gateways so that user can easily pay from the app.
You must think about a great marketing strategy for the eCommerce app development process
Building a retailer app is only one part of increasing the business footprint of your company online. You have to market it well so that it succeeds in attracting a large number of people to download and use it on their smartphone.
Marketing a retail app can be done through different strategies some of which are mentioned below for your reference.
- Make a landing page for your app that has key information regarding your app like the name, features, call to actions and any promotional videos to attract the user to download that app
- Make your app visible on the mobile app store. You can do this through App Store Optimization.
- try to create a viral video content regarding your app it is important to make use of the social media to reach out to our large number of people who will lose your app.
- Start a blog that will explain to your targeted audience in detail about the various features of the app and how it will help them.
- There are a lot more ways to promote an eCommerce app on the internet.
Discuss your requirement with eCommerce app development company
If you follow all these steps in your eCommerce app development process then you will get a higher chance of attracting a large number of clients to your dedicated retailer app.
Get Free Quote Now
Tell us your creative idea or requirement, We shall get back to you very soon.