Top 10 Web Application Frameworks
In the last decade, numerous frameworks have been introduced in the market that has enhanced the development of websites, web apps, mobile apps, softwares, etc.
Web Application Frameworks are mainly software frameworks that are specially built to assist in the development of web applications, web APIs, simple & complex websites, and web resources.
In a nutshell, frameworks are libraries which are adopted by a vast number of developers across the globe for building feature-rich and innovative web applications.
Moreover, a web application is a combination of front-end and back-end; therefore, here, we will dive deep into front-end as well as back-end frameworks.
Due to a wide range of web application development frameworks in the market, you might not be able to decide the most suitable one for your web application development project.
Here, we have listed the top 10 web application frameworks and their key features to help you finalize the best one.
Django is a Python-based web application framework that is useful for developing rich web APIs and intuitive design of web applications.
It allows developers to create highly scalable, reliable, and extensive web applications with less code. Moreover, it is also known as the Model-View-Template framework.
It offers essential techniques and tools so that developers can develop highly-secure web applications or integrate security features in the framework on its own such as restricting code execution in the template layer.
Key Features of Django
- It offers highly-scalability, regardless of the type of web application.
- Django offers better documentation than any other framework in the market.
- It comes with essential libraries and modules suitable for developing different types of web applications.
- It is backed up by a massive community of developers worldwide.
When to Choose Django?
Django is a highly-structured framework and it useful for building web apps that require
Moreover, it is useful for any web app that has to deal with high-traffic. You can opt for Django for building versatile CMS, social media sites, etc.
Who uses Django?
2. Ruby on Rails
Ruby on Rails is one of the best server-side web frameworks for building web applications. It is an open-source framework released in 2005, and any new developer can get started with it easily. It helps in effective collaboration with third-party apps by allowing exceptional traits.
Ruby on Rails allows you to leverage the configuration of Model-View-Controller and Don’t Repeat Yourself. It has a built-in structure for database, web page, and web service.
Key Features of Ruby on Rails
- It is an extensive collection of libraries that allow developers to build premium web applications. RoR consists of AJAX library, Database Access library, and common tasks library.
- Scaffolding gives developers the freedom to mention how an application database will work. Later, the framework instantly generates the needed code. In short, the Scaffolding technique forms interfaces immediately.
- It allows you to speed-up the app development process up to 10X times.
- It supports automated testing.
When to use Ruby on Rails?
Ruby on Rails is one of the best-suitable web app frameworks for building MVP for startups. Also, it is useful for building cloud-based apps, social media platforms, etc.
Also Read: Importance of MVP in Mobile App Development
Who uses Ruby on Rails?
Express.js is one of the modern web application frameworks that gained a lot of traction after Node.js’s success.
It is a highly-flexible and minimal framework that offers all the required set of features useful for creating web apps and dynamic websites.
This open-source framework comprises a wide range of unique tools, and various solutions can be achieved by including a few lines of codes. Lastly, it is an essential component of Mean Software Bundle.
Key Features of Express
- It has built-in HTTP utility methods and middleware; hence building a solid API is simple.
- You can use MVC architecture with a few tweaks.
- It offers some primary functionalities without asynchronous Node.js and utilizes the high-end performance of asynchronous Node.js.
When to use Express?
Node.js is competent for creating real-time apps, eCommerce apps, and network-based apps.
Anytime, you want to integrate current code in the node.js web development; Express is good to go.
You can use Express for creating real-time web apps, on-demand apps, network apps, payment-gateways. Moreover, you can develop RESTful APIs quickly using Expressjs.
Who uses Express?
Laravel is a leading PHP-based web development framework which works as per the MVC
(model-view-controller) architectural pattern. Developers generally use Laravel for making the back-end part of web applications.
Laravel is popular for its sophistication, clarity, and readability. You can use Laravel to integrate some awesome functionalities into web apps like authentication, API integration, solving basic vulnerabilities, automation testing, and caching, etc.
Key Features of Laravel
- It comes with inherent Laravel templates that are suitable to develop beautiful and effective layouts utilizing dynamic content seeding.
- Laravel consists of Eloquent Object Relational Mapping (ORM) that comprises a Simple PHP Active Record implementation.
- Laravel Schema Builder provides you the freedom to build database tables and include indices or columns instantly.
- It comprises built-in Object-Oriented and Modular libraries that aren’t present in other leading PHP frameworks.
When to choose Laravel?
Various developers choose Laravel because it enhances the speed of web app development projects. It is suitable for developing big and competent apps, eCommerce apps, CRM systems, etc.
Who uses Laravel?
- Koel – a personal music streaming server
- InvoiceNinja – Invoice sending application
Spring is one of the most popular web application frameworks especially useful for building
Enterprise based Java applications. Developers can build back-end applications in Java using Spring.
It is a Model-View-Controller framework used by a wide range of developers for building
simple, robust, quick, and adaptable Java Systems and applications.
Moreover, it handles various low-level tasks for huge web applications such as dependency injection, database interactions, and also transaction management; however, it also spins code using Aspect-Oriented Programming.
Key Features of Spring
- It is a lightweight framework in terms of its size and complexity. Due to this, it helps to decrease complexity in-app code. Also, it doesn’t consist of huge binary dependencies.
- The container assists not only to design but also to handle the lifecycle and configuration of various applications.
- JDBC (Java database connectivity) layer offers an exception hierarchy. It helps to handle bugs in web applications without much hindrance.
- In the case of transaction management, it provides a general abstraction layer. It’s not associated with any of the J2EE environments and useful for containerless environments.
When to Choose Spring?
In big enterprises, where the application is used for an extended period, depends on JDK and app servers, Spring Framework is good-to-go with. It is suitable for creating a myriad of applications such as standalone application, standalone GUI application, web application, and applets.
Who uses Spring?
This framework is effective for building robust and big scale web applications. Moreover, developers can maintain these web apps without any kind of issues.
Features of Angular
- It allows high-speed and next-gen performance due to universal support, code splitting, and code generation.
- Detailed documentation helps to move ahead with development easily.
- Angular offers high-level productivity because of simple yet effective template syntax, command-line tools, and other editors and IDEs.
- Latest Angular Version i.e., Angular 9, comprises a myriad of features such as efficient debugging, enhanced testing, improved type checking, etc.
When to Choose Angular?
Angular is efficient and offers great performance. It is suitable for developing front-end web applications and mainly for single-page web applications. Angular development is best-suited for building highly-interactive websites.
Who uses Angular?
- Google Translate
React gained a lot of attraction from businesses and brands because it’s the first framework to adopt component-based architecture. Also, it offers a simple and effective interface for developing any web application.
Moreover, developers can utilize the abstraction layer and vibrant tools available in React to build rich internet applications. Hence, React can also be considered as a rich internet application framework.
Key Features of React
- ReactJs is built in a way that supports one-way data binding, which offers improvised control during the entire application.
- It consists of Virtual DOM, in which if any changes occur in the web app, then the whole UI is rendered again in the DOM representation.
- It’s component-based approach allows code reusability.
You may also like: “Angularjs vs Reactjs: Which is Better?”
When to Choose React.js?
Go with React.js when you have to modify data on a large web application without loading the whole app again.
Who uses React.js?
It’s a progressive framework; it implies that if you possess a current project, then you integrate Vue as a part of the project and your project will operate without any issues.
You can develop robust-front-end apps using Vue.js Component-based architecture and the Vue ecosystem. Even though it’s not supported by tech giants, it’s popularity is increasing every year.
Key Features of Vue.js
- VueJs is extremely light-in-weight; therefore, it offers great performance.
- It consists of in-built libraries for integrating transition effects. Moreover, developers can utilize third-party libraries to integrate new animations and enhance user-interface.
- It supports Data-binding, which allows developers to manage or allocate values to HTML elements, update style, assign classes using a binding directive v-blind present with Vue.js.
- Its computed properties feature enable developers to look after the updates done with the UI elements and carry out essential logic; hence, there is no need for more coding.
When to Choose Vue.js?
It is the best-suited framework for developing PWA (progressive web apps) or single-page web apps. Moreover, it is suitable for building front-end web apps with a stunning user-interface.
Who uses Vue.js?
Also Read: “Top Front-end Frameworks”
Ember is the youngest and most mature web development framework in this list.
It was introduced in 2011 and since then it is gaining a lot of popularity among the developer community. Ember was also considered as the best JavaScriper in 2015.
Ember.js support two-way data binding similar to Angular and it also comprises a wide number of unique features useful for web app development. Using its abstractions, developers can integrate something different in each application without much effort.
Key Features of Ember.js
- It utilizes HTML and CSS at the primary level of development.
- Ember has built-in best practices at the structure of the framework.
- It offers strict organization, advanced version management system, and works well with the current as well as previous technological standards.
When to Choose Ember.js?
Ember.js is mainly a front-end framework, and it can communicate well with the back-end, then also it is suitable to use it for only front-end projects.
Who uses Ember.js?
Backbone.js is the extremely lightweight front-end framework available in the market useful for developing single-page applications efficiently.
It works according to the MVC architecture. Same as a Controller, here view enables the implementation of the component logic.
Apart from this, the framework operates engines like underscore.js and Moustache. Developers can utilize tools like Marionette, Chaplin, Handlebars, etc. to develop comprehensive client-side applications.
The main purpose of this framework is that the server-side functions should pass from the API, which is essential in integrating complex functionalities in an app by writing less code.
Key Features of Backbone.js
- Various models, views, events, routers, and collections are offered for developing the mounting client-side web applications.
- It is an open-source library that contains more than 100 extensions.
- Backbone easily separates the business logic and user interface logic.
When to Choose Backbone.js?
Backbone.js is most suitable for developing any kind of single-page applications. It offers developers the freedom to develop a client-side model, introduce quick updates, and code reusability.
Therefore, it is effective in progressively managing features, handing the client, and continuous communication with the server.
Who uses Backbone.js?
Wrapping it Up
Choosing the web application framework can speed-up your development tasks and help your business gain new heights.
However, the main question is, which web application framework you should choose? Here, you should consider all the options that are listed above and then select the one that suits project requirements and your end goal.
We are a leading web app development company having years of experience in developing innovative web applications. You are most welcome to share your web app project requirements with us and we are happy to help you.