Web Application Development Cost Estimation in 2021
If you have found one of the best web app ideas and plan to convert it to reality, then one of the questions that appears in your mind is, How much does it cost to build a web application?
Surprisingly, there is not a straight answer to this question. Web application development refers to a single-page website as well as a highly complex web application.
But if someone provides you the exact figure straightway, then move away because no one can provide you with the precise cost just by knowing your web app idea. Unfortunately, web app development doesn’t work like this.
One needs to have a detailed piece of information to estimate the cost of a web application. It includes various things, such as web app types, complexity, functionality, developer skills, location, etc.
Here we will provide you with factors that affect web app development cost, estimated cost to build a web app, additional cost, and effective ways to reduce the cost.
Before we move ahead, let us know the demand for web applications in the market.
The State of Web Applications
Here are several latest statistics that prove why web applications have become a first choice for small to big businesses.
According to SmashingIdeas, companies that have switched from a website to PWA observed an increase in customer engagement from 20 to 250%
As per GlobalNewsWire, the global progressive web application market will reach US $10.44 billion in 2027 by growing at a CAGR of 31.9%.
Moreover, there are some crucial reasons to choose a web application. It includes easy customization, scalability, security, round-the-clock business availability, low maintenance, and more.
What Factors Affect the Web App Development Cost?
Here are some of the essential factors that affect the development cost of a web application:
1. Scope of Work
First and foremost, you should know every specific detail about your future web application. That’s when the need for a scope of work arises.
A defined scope of work highlights the details of the project along with the members involved in it. When you know about the scope of work along with the details, you can estimate the budget of the web app and don’t face any issues in the later stages.
To determine the scope of work for the project, you can find the answers to several questions like:
- For which industry do I want to develop a web application?
- Which is the kind of web application to develop? Is it a CRM dashboard? Or Is it an online clothing store?
- Which type of features to integrate into the web application?
- What are the goals and visions of the web application?
- What is the budget of the web application?
- Do I have to integrate any advanced technologies?
- What should be the deadline for the web application? and more
When you have completed the scope of work of your web application, then you need to identify the design complexity of the web application types.
2. Complexity of UI/UX Design
UI/UX design is the most crucial part of the web application. The reason being, users decide to access the web app or leave it based on the design. Therefore, you should give utmost importance to web application design.
The cost of custom UI/UX design is higher as compared to the template solutions. It depends on the design complexity, total number of elements, wireframes, animations, and more.
Here you need to ensure that the web app design is unique, attractive, and easy to use. A lot of time & effort of designers & developers is involved in creating a best-in-class web application.
3. Hiring Opportunities
The development cost of a web application varies from whom you develop. In general, there are three ways to develop it:
Here will provide you with the pros and cons of each commercial model so that you can choose the best as per your project needs.
Freelancers are basically independent contractors that work for themselves. It is suitable to hire a freelancer for a small project or an upgrade. Upwork and Freelancer are two of the most popular platforms to find freelancers.Here are some of the pros and cons of freelancers.
- Cost of developing a web app from a freelancer is generally low.
- Requires a lot of time & effort finding reliable freelancers.
- They can’t provide you with the estimated project timeline as they don’t possess business analysis skills.
- They work on multiple projects. On getting any good opportunity, the freelancers might leave you in the middle of the project.
- In case you work with multiple freelancers, you have to play the role of a project manager.
- They have less accountability and transparency.
- Project quality is usually low.
If you are searching for experts that work locally, or want to assemble an in-house team, go with this option. It is one of the most suitable solutions if you have a goal to work on a range of projects and contribute your time & effort.
- Better communication.
- You have complete control over the team.
- Spend a lot of time & money in hiring the entire team.
- Hardware as well as software costs.
- Infrastructure costs.
You allocate your entire project to an outsourcing company. They handle the full project from start to finish. Here are some of the pros and cons of outsourcing.
- Highly experienced team of professionals.
- They are highly cooperative.
- Project management is effective.
- Timely delivery of the project.
- The cost of hiring an outsourcing company is higher than a freelancer & lower than an in-house team. However, it is worth it.
4. Developer’s Location
Location is another crucial factor that affects the web app development cost. Outsourcing your project to a company is more cost-effective than a local in-house team.
According to Clutch, the average cost of web development firms in the USA, Canada, and Australia is from $50-200 per hour.
However, in the UK, the average cost of firms for web app development starts from $50-99 per hour. The average cost of web development firms in India is less than $49/ hour.
Hence, we recommend you choose India for web application development. Moreover, the professionals in India are extremely talented, and they can deliver high-quality web applications.
How Much Does it Cost to Develop a Web Application?
If you want to develop a web app from scratch, you need a team of various professionals such as web designers, web developers, QA testers, project managers, etc.
Here, the cost of the professional will vary based on the time and the skill. Further, it also varies based on the location, as discussed earlier.
Here, we are assuming that you are outsourcing your web application to India, then cost of developing a simple, medium, and complex web application with some essential details is as follows:
Simple Web Apps:
- It consists of a minimal set of features.
- Few landing pages.
- It requires minimum content.
- It is less interactive.
- Example: calculator, small online catalog.
- Estimated hours: 200-300
- Cost to develop a simple app ranges between $3,000-$6,000.
Medium Web Apps
- It has a medium set of features.
- More pages in the web apps.
- More content compared to simple web apps.
- Example: eCommerce web apps, internal portals, marketplace web apps, etc.
- Estimated hours: 300-700
- Cost lies between $6,000 to $10,000.
Complex Web Apps
- It consists of a lot of features & functionalities.
- Many pages in the web pages.
- It requires a lot of content to provide better interactivity.
- Example: CRM web app for an enterprise, an automated billing system, etc.
- Estimated hours: 700-800
- Complex web application development cost is around $10,000 to $12,000.
Additional Costs Involved in Web Application Launch
Besides human resources, one other essential thing you need to ensure that your web app is active & live on the internet is hosting.
As of now, there are various types of hosting available in the market. Hence, the cost of hosting a web application varies based on the hosting you purchase.
Besides hosting, the price of a web application increases if there is a need to integrate new features & functionalities.
How to Reduce App Development Cost?
What if the web app development cost is way higher than you thought?
You might look for an outsourcing company that does the work at a low price. But with low cost, the quality of the web app might also not be up-to-the-mark.
What can you do?
If you don’t want to spend heavily on your web application in the initial stage, you have two options.
Start with MVP App Development
One of the best ways to develop a web application is to go with MVP app development.
The reason being it allows you to test your web application early in the market and obtain user feedback.
Based on the user feedback and your budget, you can integrate features and functionalities in your web application.
In short, you can invest in your web application gradually.
Use Third-party Tools
You can utilize third-party in your web app development to reduce the cost. For instance, you want to integrate a map into your web application.
You can integrate any third-party tools like Google Maps instead of creating the entire thing from scratch.
Now you must have got a brief idea about web application development cost. By thoroughly following the process we have shared with you, you can easily calculate the cost of your web application.
However, if you are still confused and want to know a rough estimate about your web application, you can ping us anytime.
As a professional web app development company, we can provide you with a rough estimate for your web application. Also, we have an incredibly talented team of professionals who can understand your project and deliver you the best web application.