How to Create an App like Bumble: Cost, Features & Business Model
The online dating industry is continuously evolving with new-age dating apps released every year. These apps have transformed the entire dating scenario. People of different age groups have started accepting dating apps all over the globe.
When we compare various dating apps, Bumble has become a great hit in the market. Why? Because of their innovative features and marketing strategy.
By looking at the success of these apps, various new-age entrepreneurs and businesses have started jumping into the dating industry by developing their own app or by making an app like Bumble.
If you are also looking forward to developing a dating app like Bumble, this blog is for you.
Before moving towards the point of creating a dating app like Bumble, it’s essential to check the competitors available in the market.
By studying your competitors in the market, you will get a clear idea about things working in the dating sphere and want features people expect from dating apps.
So, without further ado, let’s start:
Top Bumble Competitors
There are numerous dating applications available on the market and popular among people as they do a great job of bringing & connecting people. Here we have popular dating apps which are significant competitors to Bumble.
- Coffee Meets Bagel
- Plenty of Fish
Before you create an app like Bumble, let us look at the latest statistics of this dating app.
Let us quickly look at some of the exciting statistics about Bumble.
- If we consider Bumble user statistics for 2022, it has more than 40 million monthly active users.
- The dating app has more than 1.8 million paid users, combining subscriptions and in-app purchases.
- Bumble App Revenue grew 27.9% to $180.6 million in 2022.
- If we consider Bumble user demographics, 13% of users fall under 18-29 years, 10% in 30-44 years, 4% in 45-54, and 4% in 55-64.
- Bumble remains one step ahead of its competitors, providing physical space for couples to meet and date.
- 32.6% of users are female in Bumble dating apps.
After looking at the statistics of Bumble, let us check how Bumble helps users make great connections using its smart algorithm.
How does Bumble’s Algorithm work?
Compared to various other dating apps, Bumble’s algorithm is simple. Here, we will provide some of the common ways the algorithm functions:
- Top right-swiped users and all the users whom you have right-swiped will appear first on the screen.
- Bumble doesn’t remember any of your swiping patterns and shows profiles of different kinds of people.
- If you swipe right on all the profiles, then Bumble will consider you as a bot and will not display your profile to other users of the application.
- You don’t have to remain continuously active on the app. If you want to take a break, you get an option to pause your account.
- Deleting your Bumble account doesn’t leave any poor impression if you will join the platform again.
Want to Create a Dating App using a Unique Algorithm?
Let us know your project needs. Our dating app experts provide relevant
suggestions about the algorithm and later deliver you the best dating app.
After knowing how the Bumble algorithm works, you should possess a list of features that helps you to achieve that functionality. To make your task easier, we have listed all the features present in the Bumble app.
Bumble Features You Should Include in Your Dating App
Generally, the Bumble app has features similar to Tinder. Here is the extensive list of Bumble app features you should consider while creating an app like Bumble.
1. Logging in
Logging on the Bumble is straightforward through a Facebook profile or mobile number. The application fetches all the info from Facebook and allows users to create a profile within a few minutes.
It imports all the primary details of the user from Facebook automatically, or the user can add them manually.
The app allows users to upload photos and a description of up to 300 characters. A profile will display the following things:
- Mutual Friends on Facebook
Proximity is the most crucial thing in the case of Bumble. The app connects users depending on their location. Geolocation is highly essential, and therefore, the app fetches the user’s location.
4. Discovery Settings
All the app users can set discovery settings based on age, sex, and distance. Its free version allows users to set search dates in a radius of 10 miles.
This feature in Bumble is just like Tinder. This feature is introduced to ease the task of finding a perfect date. A user can swipe right to like a profile and left to dislike a profile.
In this dating application, a match happens when two users like each other. After this step, users can start chatting.
7. Real-time messaging
After matchmaking, users can start chatting with each other. But here is a catch, in the case of heterosexual connection, a female has the option to start a conversation. While in the case of same-sex, anyone can start the conversation.
8. Video Calling and Video Chatting
One can use this feature after getting a perfect match. Here, women have the option to do a video call instantly when they get a match, and this can be considered their first move. Men can use this feature only after women begin the conversation.
9. Push Notifications
Push notifications are one of the most effective ways to improve dating app engagement and retention. It alerts a user in case of a new match, messages, and essential updates.
Bumble introduced one of the most essential features known as Backtrack. It enables users to undo swipes that are accidentally left swiped. This feature is only available in the premium version only.
11. Bumble Spotlight
For a minimal price, a user can display the profile upfront for the majority of singles in their locality by activating the “spotlight” feature. This feature works the same as the boost feature available on Tinder.
The application provides a SuperSwipe feature that allows users to inform a person that they like straightforwardly. To notify a person in which a user is interested, they have to tap on the heart icon.
13. Bumble BFF & Bumble Bizz
It is one of the innovative features present in Bumble, which sets it apart from various other dating apps present in the market. In short, Bumble BFF and Bizz features allow a user to find a friend and make a business connection.
BFF mode, which consists of a swipe option for dating requires a conversation to get initiated within 24 hours of finding a date or a friend. However, there is no restriction on who starts the conversation first.
Bumble Bizz is beneficial if a user wants to meet other professionals in their location. With the help of this feature, a user can expand their network.
14. Photo Verification
Bumble has also introduced a photo verification feature to make sure that all the app users add their actual profile photos. To verify their profiles, users are requested to upload their selfies, and then it is matched with all the other photos.
It is one of the most vital features you should include if you are looking forward to making an app like Bumble.
After you become familiar with the Bumble features, it is essential to understand the business and revenue model of Bumble. Let us look at it.
Bumble Business Model
A dating app business model consists of various components. Here, we will have a quick overview of Bumble’s business model. So, let’s start:
After looking at the business model of Bumble, here we will look at how Bumble generates revenue. So, let’s start:
Bumble Revenue Model: How Does Bumble Make Money?
Bumble earns money in three ways: freemium, in-app purchases for premium features and subscription model.
Bumble free version comes with some of the standard features with the ads. Thus, the company earns money through advertisements.
However, if any user wants to upgrade their plan, the app comes with some of the most splendid features plus subscription plans starting at $8.99/ week.
Here, it provides Bumble coins, an in-app currency required to purchase some of the essential features such as SuperSwipes and Spotlight.
SuperSwipe functions allow you to send a notification to the user with whom you want to make a serious connection. A user also has the option to purchase coins in different quantities as per their need:
- 1 coin: $1.99
- 5 coins: $7.99
- 10 coins: $14.99
- 20 coins: $24.99
- 30 coins: $37.99
Each SuperSwipe will cost 1 coin, and each Spotlight will cost 2 coins. You can integrate these features if you want to monetize your dating app.
You can also get premium features in the Bumble boost subscription. Let’s look at it.
A bumble boost offers some of the most amazing features as follows:
1. BeeLine: Using this feature, users can view the list of all the profiles who have already liked their profile.
2. Rematch: The basic version allows a user to connect with their date within 24 hours. However, the paid version gives an opportunity to the user to connect with their match after the 24 hours window is closed.
3. BusyBee: With the help of this feature, a user can extend the limit of 24 hours as many times a user wants. Hence, a user gets enough time to send the first message.
The total subscription period is directly proportional to the cost. The subscription price becomes low if you purchase it for 3months, 6months, or a lifetime.
Following these ways, Bumble app revenue increased by 28% to $181 million. The total paying users also increase to 36%. The net earnings of Bumble are $26.4 million. You can integrate all the above monetization strategies in your dating apps. Besides this, there are many ways to earn money through your dating app.
After looking at the business & revenue model, it’s time to create your modern dating app like Bumble. For the same, we will walk you through a step-by-step process to build a Bumble like dating app.
Important Steps to Create Online Dating App Like Bumble
Here is the streamlined process to create a dating app like Bumble.
1. Ideation: First of all, you should make a rough idea of your dating app like Bumble.
2. Unique Features: We suggest you don’t just completely clone the features of Bumble. Instead, you include some unique features.
3. Target Audience: You should research your target audience. Without knowing your audience, you should never build an app.
4. Documentation: Mention a list of all the features & functionalities that you want to include in your dating application.
5. Design: Any application is worthless without an effective and user-friendly design. Therefore, you should make proper design of the app. Here, create an app prototype and then the mockup.
6. Choose Reliable Technology Stack: After creating an attractive design of your dating app, it is necessary to decide the technology stack. Here is the technology stack that you have to follow to develop a dating app like Bumble:
Here is the streamlined process to create a dating app like Bumble.
7. Development: After choosing technology stack, you should start developing your dating application for respective platforms, such as Android or iOS. This step will consume the majority of your time.
8. Q & A Testing: You should not launch an app after its development is completed. Test your app a minimum of three times and resolve all the errors present in the application. Here, you should check errors in design, coding, and functionality.
9. Debugging: In the beginning, there will be errors in the app. Therefore you should fix all the errors and repeat the development and testing process until your app becomes bug-free.
10. Launch your App: Now, launch your app on the respective app stores.
Excited to Build an App Like Bumble?
Schedule a meeting with us. We recommend the best features, monetization
methods, etc., for your dating app along with a quote.
How Much Does it Cost to Develop an App like Bumble?
The cost of developing an application like Bumble would be between $16k – $40k. However, it is based on the type of app and the total number of features present. A completely customized app with entire development and launching will cost you around $30k to $40k, and this cost can go upto $50k.
Besides this, cost also depends on the platform (Android, iOS, or both), third-party integrations, development team’s experience, and region. The cost will be low if you want to develop a dating app on one platform. But if you want to make an app on Android and iOS, then the price will increase.
If you want to develop a dating app on one platform, the cost will be low. But if you’re going to make an app on both the platform, Android and iOS, then the price will increase.
If you are low on resources and want to release an app on two platforms, you should go with cross-platform development.
To know in detail about the factors affecting the cost of an application, check out this guide on app development cost.
As an entrepreneur or an SME, you might be thinking of developing an app like Bumble. However, we highly suggest you not completely clone the dating app. Instead, make some tweaks, find your target audience, and build an effective feature list. After completing this task, it will become suitable to determine the cost of developing a dating app.
Lastly, if you have an idea to make an app like Bumble or better than that, then you can contact us.
Guru TechnoLabs is a dating app development company. We have a professional team of dating app developers who will first understand your concept in detail and then provide you with the best dating app to move ahead of the competition.